How a divorce case proceeds with an uncooperative spouse.

If your spouse refuses to sign the acceptance and waiver, then we must have a deputy sheriff serve your spouse with the complaint and notice to take depositions here in my office in Afton.  Once the complaint is served, your spouse has twenty-one days to respond so scheduling of depositions must account for the time it takes for the circuit court clerk to get the papers to the sheriff, the time it takes him to find your spouse,  and the twenty-one day period.  On the appointed day, we get you in and out of the office in less than ten minutes and soon after your and your witness’s depositions are taken, they are sent to the court with your final divorce decree for entry by the judge.

Back to Blog Posts